Thing 10: Search Tools Ninja

I chose to explore the Sweet Search engine as I had never heard of it before and I was curious to see how effective it would be as a custom search engine for students. Due to time constraint on a project we are currently working on we do not have enough time right now to teach the scholars good research skills and how to distinguish acceptable websites so having a search engine that would narrow down helpful results for students would be a life saver. We are doing a mini research paper on mental illness as it is related to Edgar Allan Poe’s Tell Tale Heart and Schizophrenia so I wanted to see what results would turn up for students. I was pleasantly surprised that it provided many good resources on schizophrenia readily available for students. I look forward to using the search engine with all of my classes and especially the history option for deeper understanding of certain topics and exploration. The Google Custom Search seems to have changed and I was unable to create one of my own through any of my accounts due to not having permissions. It also seems that the Google Custom Search tool changed from creating a website list to rather searching customized tabs on your own site. However, I did take a look at the Digital Curation Cool Tools and it reminded me of how Google does let you use collections to gather a series of bookmarks. My Freshmen are still getting used to Chromebooks and Google Classroom however so I did simplify the search to hyperlinks within the Google Doc which you can check out below.




Comments

  1. I wonder if there's some restriction on your google account when you're signed in to your Rochester email? I just tried the Custom Search Engine tool with a new personal gmail account and it still works. I have to say, the interface for the tool isn't really very user friendly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cool Things 8: Curation Tools

Thing 30: Final Reflection

Thing 1: Getting Started