Cool Things 8: Curation Tools

In addition tools such as Evernote, Adobe Reader, and Diigo, are great annotation tools for online reading and annotating. Myself and some teachers I worked with would find an article online and mark it up for students using Diigo to show them not only how to annotate but to help them with independent reading. I use Pinterest for many personal projects but recently I've let the students use it to make a moodboard for "The Tell Tale Heart" as a part of their Multi Genre Research Project. (Example). For my Seniors I am a big fan of the RCSD Libguide to ease them into the waters of College data bases for their research projects. It reminds me of when I was in Highschool and was intimidated by the college data bases at first until they were presented to me with a libguide and an easing into it.  I was pretty excited about Paper.Li as I had never heard of it before and I like that on my phone I have a newsfeed of my interests already set up but one that I myself had not created (Google's always watching after all).  I was a bit disappointed when I was exploring it. On one hand it seems pretty kid friendly with easy to read articles but it lacks a variety/refinement for more detailed or relevant articles (for instance I put in schizophrenia and there were  a ton of unrelated articles). I did a broad one for mental illness and I have to admit I feel overwhelmed with both articles. (Link). It's a neat idea but I'm not really feeling it. If my students needed to brainstorm and share ideas/curate I'd probably have them use Google's Jamboard or Symbaloo which is more visually appealing and user friendly.

Comments

  1. Paper.li is a bit quirky, doesn't always work for every purpose. Sounds like you've found some other tools that will work well for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 30: Final Reflection

Thing 10: Search Tools Ninja